× Technical Discussions

Spun Prop???

• HFXJACK
  • HFXJACK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Able Seaman
More
5 years 8 months ago #1022 by HFXJACK
HFXJACK created the topic: Spun Prop???
First trip out on shake down cruise after all of my issues from last year. Pulling into marina entrance just starting to come of plane and pow 5000 RPMS plus. Pulled back into neutral collected my thoughts. Put into forward good news prop engages and we move forward. First thought was I picked up some debris and prop cavitated. Slowly sped up hit 2000 RPM and pow right to 4000. Stop once more put in reverse backup to see if any debris comes out. Nothing, try one more time same result. Limp into marina back into slip look at prop looks fine. Latter went for a spin in the tender same thing happens to my 9.9. The water is full of seaweed and other debris and I did pass through two large debris fields so before I try a in water prop change I am going to mark the prop and go for a spin.
My coupling is new less than 20hrs operation. My prop is suspect. I had it serviced by a company that I am going to have a future fight with and when I got it back I suspected that it was not my prop. Looked much older and had a chip out of the hub that I did not remember having. But no proof. So over the winter I once again had the prop inspected by another company. They reported it to be OK but was old and showed signs of a lot of corrosion. It was on my list to replace but after all of the money I spent on this boat over the past two years it was going to have to wait. I guess not anymore.

So to make me feel better!! Is it possible that you can spin the coupler? So that it would work at low speed and not at high speed. My thoughts were it works or doesn't no in between. My summer vacation depends on your answer guys so be gentle.

HFXJACK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #1023 by David
David replied the topic: Re: Spun Prop???
If you have another prop or could borrow one to test that is where I would start. I had the same sort of issue last year and spent 450.00 on new composite props and my boat still did the same thing but intermittenly. I think I found the issue on mine in that the exhaust bellows was broken and I was driving into a void created by the exhaust.
It seems odd though that you would have the same issue on your 9.9 B)

You might want to look at the manual here www.canadianboatownersclub.ca/phocadownload/Techbk/97/97hs3.pdf

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by David.

• HFXJACK
  • Able Seaman
More
5 years 8 months ago #1024 by HFXJACK
HFXJACK replied the topic: Re: Spun Prop???
The fact that my 9.9 did the same thing makes me think cavitation and debris in the water. Do have a second prop with me. Going to mark prop go for a spin before changing props. not easy to do in the water. even in trailer mode still 1.5' down. On the BOC reply said coupler can give same symptom however he said we would smell burnt rubber. We did not.

Going for a sea trial shortly.

HFXJACK

More
5 years 8 months ago #1025 by David

HFXJACK wrote: The fact that my 9.9 did the same thing makes me think cavitation and debris in the water. Do have a second prop with me. Going to mark prop go for a spin before changing props. not easy to do in the water. even in trailer mode still 1.5' down. On the BOC reply said coupler can give same symptom however he said we would smell burnt rubber. We did not.

Going for a sea trial shortly.

Let us know what you find. I would think that if it was a coupler it would be an all or nothing issue.

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

• HFXJACK
  • Able Seaman
More
5 years 8 months ago #1026 by HFXJACK
HFXJACK replied the topic: Re: Spun Prop???
Marked prop and went for sea trial. Got up on plane ran down the channel, did a hard 180 then backed off so that I was just just planning. No issues. Came back to marina checked the prop and it had slipped.

Replaced with spare.

You know I went to Canada Propeller site and filled out the form to request prop pricing etc. Two weeks ago no answer. They just lost a sale because I need a new one ASAP going out for 10 days starting next Saturday.

HFXJACK

More
5 years 8 months ago #1028 by David
Great to hear its not more than a prop. As for Canada Propeller that is where I got my props from they are just down the street and are usually good. I would call direct

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: kingstonal
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds