× Technical Discussions

Depending on the boat's electricity system?

• Roel Jansen
  • Roel Jansen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #1354 by Roel Jansen
Roel Jansen created the topic: Depending on the boat's electricity system?
The boat is six years old now and we encounter some nasty aspects of being depending on our electricity system.
Last year on Holidays all of a sudden the electric Jabsco toilet refused to do any thing when pushing the button. But I noticed that there was current. After a call a mechanic from the Marina (great service) came and fixed it. But afterwards it became clear that the pump should be replaced. It pumped out the waste but didn't fill the bowl. After 4 weeks waiting that pump will arrive this week.

The same weekend of the dragging anchor fortunately very close to the Marina an audible alarm went off and I read and saw a drop in current from the port engine. The alternator needed to be replaced, fortunately they had a professional rebuilt one for half of the new price.

This weekend we were confronted with a very bad weather on Saturday so we decided to sleep in the boat as Sunday was promised to be better. In the midst of the night we woke up because an alarm went off directly followed by an other! Clear it became it were the CO alarms!
Very strange and a second I wondered if it could be due to our consumption of to much alcoholic food. :)

Putting a light on showed it was very weak and as we were on shore power, dead batteries was my first conclusion.
Looking at the power panel the red light was burning so indeed it got power. Looking better at the panel (I put my reading glasses on my nose) I found the reason, the battery charger button was in the off position!

Also the Chart Plotter didn't function any more, the Satellites were not longer been found so no position of the boat on the chart.

Fortunately we have a compass and paper charts, we have a bucket for our human waste and some bottles of drinkable water but above all we have our HONDA 20i! :mrgreen:
I hope that will be our assurance when those electric things happen when on the hook!
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Roel Jansen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #1358 by jamie mac
jamie mac replied the topic: Re: Depending on the boat's electricity system?
Solar power!!!

2006 mainship rumrunner

• Roel Jansen
  • Roel Jansen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
5 years 7 months ago #1359 by Roel Jansen
Roel Jansen replied the topic: Re: Depending on the boat's electricity system?

jamie mac wrote: Solar power!!!

Windmills that would suit us better! :)

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: kingstonal
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds