× Technical Discussions

Still overheating

• David
  • David's Avatar Topic Author
  • Admiral - Administrator
More
5 years 5 months ago #1494 by David
David created the topic: Still overheating
Well I have now replaced the thermostat and the impeller and the engine still is overheating. Next I plan on changing the circulating pump, Hopefully that resolves the issue and I can get out past the harbour break wall for the first time this year. :angry:

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #1497 by HFXJACK
HFXJACK replied the topic: Re: Still overheating
With all that work on your boat did you change your props or re-pitch them. Does it overheat at idle or running or both? Did you check your timing?

HFXJACK

• David
More
5 years 5 months ago #1498 by David
David replied the topic: Re: Still overheating
Nope no prop change. It was not overheating it was the port engine that was the problem. I changed the thermostat and impeller on that one and I no sooner leave the dock and the starboard one heats up to 200. It heats up at idle. I tried reving to 1500 - 2000 no change, lifted the drive to eliminate the possibility of a kinked intake hose, no change. The only thing left I can think of is the engine ciruclating pump

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

• k-townguy
  • Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Mechanic
More
5 years 5 months ago #1500 by k-townguy
k-townguy replied the topic: Re: Still overheating
Dave, what i would do, if it were me, would be to pull the water pump(circ pump). Once you have it in your hand try and rotate the pulley, if the shaft spins freely, try to spin the pulley while holding on to the impeller on the other side. Maybe it is spinning on the shaft. Just an idea before you go and order a pump if it isn't the problem

1985 Bayliner 2150 Ciera Sunbridge
VP AQ 125A/270

"FOUR PLAY'N"
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough to do it right the second time.

More
5 years 5 months ago #1501 by jamie mac
jamie mac replied the topic: Re: Still overheating
Did you test it with a temp gun or is it giving you visible sign of heating. it would never be a faulty guage? also can you pull the discharge hose off the circulating pump add a length of hose overboard start your engine briefly to check flow.

2006 mainship rumrunner

• David
More
5 years 5 months ago #1502 by David
David replied the topic: Re: Still overheating
Thanks guys great suggestions :) I already have a pump $107 not too expensive.I did not test it with a heat gun but you can see visible signs that it overheats and you cannot touch the risers at all. Cobras are odd. it may be that the rubber gasket around the impeller housing is sucking air as well ? That happened last year. Since I have already bought the pump I will try your suggestions before I install and return it if I find anything else.

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: kingstonal
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds