× Technical Discussions

Impellers

• freedre
  • freedre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #1641 by freedre
freedre created the topic: Impellers
My friend Rudy thinks I should replace these, but I was hoping to get a few more miles out of them. What do you think?

We bought the boat last August and the PO, while admitting he didn't know when the impellers had been changed, offered that "there were no overheating problems and everything seemed to be working well". Which it was, right up until the port cooling water packed in.

Decided to do both pumps since I allready had my hands dirty anyway.

Does anyone have any idea how often these things should be changed? The pump users manual says every year, but I'm hoping that is excessive.

Thanks in advance.

Ron
Attachments:
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by freedre. Reason: Spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #1642 by David
David replied the topic: Re: Impellers
Every year to two years. I am going to try taking mine out this fall and see if they last a little longer. I changed mine last year and due to overheating had to change them again. Did you find all the pieces of the impeller ?

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

• freedre
  • freedre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
5 years 4 months ago #1643 by freedre
freedre replied the topic: Re: Impellers

David wrote: Every year to two years. I am going to try taking mine out this fall and see if they last a little longer. I changed mine last year and due to overheating had to change them again. Did you find all the pieces of the impeller ?

I think I found enough shredded rubber to make two or three impellers (LOL). The first device in line with the pump is the oil cooler heat exchanger and it is fairly small, so I think it intercepted all the rubber.

Sure was a lot of it tho'.

It's a real PITA getting these things changed (like everything on a boat) and I'm really hoping it's not an annual activity.

• Roel Jansen
  • Visitor
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #1644 by Roel Jansen
Roel Jansen replied the topic: Re: Impellers
:blink: impellers

Are there different qualities? I can't remember ever have seen them on my service bills.
I have asked once if they shouldn't be replaced every year but got the answer no, today we use much better quality impellers.
We have the boat for six years now! Neither we have replaced a battery.
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Roel Jansen.

• arebilly
  • Visitor
5 years 4 months ago #1679 by arebilly
arebilly replied the topic: Re: Impellers
If they are P151 Sherwood pumps with 15000 Impellers. I have the same and change every two years. Never had problem YET!!

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: kingstonal
Time to create page: 1.330 seconds