× Technical Discussions

Feel Like An A$$

• David
  • David's Avatar Topic Author
  • Admiral - Administrator
More
5 years 4 months ago #1681 by David
David created the topic: Feel Like An A$$
Well after two seasons I have finally solved the slipping drive issue with my boat. As I have posted before when I reached about 3000 rpm my drives would feel like they were slipping and the engine sound would rev up, the sync guage would go way to the port side, the boat would want to veer left but the rpm guages would remain constant.
Well after two seasons of barely going out on the water, changing props, asking questions, posting to forums, asking mechanics etc. it turns out the problem was between the seat and the steering wheel. It seems on my boat if you leave the trim tabs down after coming up on plane it cavitates like crazy and thus the issue.
I installed a new impeller kit on the starboard engine today, which solved the overheatin issue on the starboard engine. Took the boat out and on the advice of another boater did not use the trim tabs at all.
The boat worked flawlessly. Got up on plane, no slipping, no over reving and hit 25 mph at 3000 rpm. :cheer:

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #1682 by jamie mac
jamie mac replied the topic: Re: Feel Like An A$$
Glad you figured it out.

2006 mainship rumrunner

• Roel Jansen
  • Visitor
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #1683 by Roel Jansen
Roel Jansen replied the topic: Re: Feel Like An A$$
Don't we haave all that feeling sometimes? Just our recent Holidays

Wanted to depart from our spot in the Harbour of Giethoornm, started the ignition on started the port engine fired up directly . Tried to start the starboard one, dead! First conclution Dead battery! Wife. is it stil in gear? Yes it was!
And that wasn't the first time this happened!
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Roel Jansen.

• k-townguy
  • Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Mechanic
More
5 years 4 months ago #1684 by k-townguy
k-townguy replied the topic: Re: Feel Like An A$$
Hey hey...way to go man. Glad you got it all figured out Dave.

1985 Bayliner 2150 Ciera Sunbridge
VP AQ 125A/270

"FOUR PLAY'N"
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough to do it right the second time.

• David
  • David's Avatar Topic Author
  • Admiral - Administrator
More
5 years 4 months ago #1685 by David
David replied the topic: Re: Feel Like An A$$
Thanks guys. Brad glad you guys drop up to the Marina it was good to see you. Thanks again for the tomatoes they were great. :)

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

More
5 years 4 months ago #1726 by dmcb
dmcb replied the topic: Feel Like An A$$
David, take a look at the Bennett site. Somewhere it should tell how far from the outdrives the tabs should be installed. I suspect your tabs are not far enough from the drives.
On my 2850 with twins, I needed more tab to keep it on plane at a lower speed.
I found I couldn't increase the width because there wasn't enough room to keep them the proper distance from the drives.
I found a pair of racing trim tabs that fit the Bennett tabs and by adding another Bennett cylinder I was able to solve the problem. The tabs as I recall were still 12 inches wide but were 19 inches long. Made a huge difference in that boat.
It is possible someone changed tabs to a wider one on your boat without paying attention to the distance from the drive.

Doug

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: kingstonal
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds