× Technical Discussions

bottom paint

• jamie mac
  • jamie mac's Avatar Topic Author
  • Able Seaman
More
5 years 2 months ago #2024 by jamie mac
jamie mac created the topic: bottom paint
What is the best and easiest way to get bottom paint that is several layers thick off for a fresh coat.

2006 mainship rumrunner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #2027 by David
David replied the topic: bottom paint
You could sand it but there is usually copper in the paint so you have to have protection and it is a lot of messy work
I have also heard of blasting the paint off with various materials just like sand blasting but not as abrasive so it does not harm the gelcoat. I dont have bottom paint and use a product called On Off Hull cleaner. It is basically an acid that works great but does not harm the gelcoat. I wonder how effective it would be on the paint. I just roll it on the hull with a paint roler and the grime drips right off. It might be worth a try :unsure:

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

• k-townguy
  • Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Mechanic
More
5 years 2 months ago #2028 by k-townguy
k-townguy replied the topic: bottom paint
sandblasting with walnut chips is the quickest, easiest and safest and will NOT affect the gel-coat on the hull

1985 Bayliner 2150 Ciera Sunbridge
VP AQ 125A/270

"FOUR PLAY'N"
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough to do it right the second time.

• jamie mac
  • jamie mac's Avatar Topic Author
  • Able Seaman
More
5 years 2 months ago #2029 by jamie mac
jamie mac replied the topic: bottom paint

k-townguy wrote: sandblasting with walnut chips is the quickest, easiest and safest and will NOT affect the gel-coat on the hull

i like this idea thanks.

2006 mainship rumrunner

• Roel Jansen
  • Visitor
5 years 2 months ago #2030 by Roel Jansen
Roel Jansen replied the topic: bottom paint
Over here bottom paint is used a lot. My boat gets every season a new layer done by a professional here at the Marina.

Sandblasting with wallnut chips I have never heard of so I am very curious how that is done.

Using bottom paint one first should chose for the right type of paint there is a kind for motorboats and a kind for sailing boats.
Just sanding is done over here with a boat that has already paint. I would let it do by a pro to get back to were the thickness should be. Next year you can do it by your self and that will prevent layers to built up quick! I, every time when it's done, I like the view of the boat looks to be a real ship again! :wink:

More
5 years 2 months ago #2031 by David
David replied the topic: bottom paint

Roel Jansen wrote: Over here bottom paint is used a lot. My boat gets every season a new layer done by a professional here at the Marina.

Sandblasting with wallnut chips I have never heard of so I am very curious how that is done.

Using bottom paint one first should chose for the right type of paint there is a kind for motorboats and a kind for sailing boats.
Just sanding is done over here with a boat that has already paint. I would let it do by a pro to get back to were the thickness should be. Next year you can do it by your self and that will prevent layers to built up quick! I, every time when it's done, I like the view of the boat looks to be a real ship again! :wink:

Here you go Roel, you may find this video interesting. It shows how the walnut shells work.

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roel Jansen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: kingstonal
Time to create page: 0.833 seconds