× Technical Discussions

What a difference a mechanic makes

• David
  • David's Avatar Topic Author
  • Admiral - Administrator
More
4 years 5 months ago #3257 by David
David created the topic: What a difference a mechanic makes
Check out the new article on my drive issues www.cdnbaylinerownersclub.com/index.php/...arine-mechanic-makes

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Roel Jansen
  • Visitor
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #3258 by Roel Jansen
Roel Jansen replied the topic: What a difference a mechanic makes
David,

A horrifying story with a happy end! :mrgreen:

Experience has told me that what ever we buy or do we run into the big problem of finding those "gems" who know exactly what to do. They show their skills not by saying what they will do but by doing it! And in a proper way if possible the first time. I also found out that when they agree that you pay them less peanuts than the others, you mostly get a monkey!
Unfortunately it's not easy always to separate the goods from the bad and the ugly!
Seldom I had the pleasure of buying goods or service or got advice that comes or was cheap! And I pamper the stores and people who really know what they are doing especially if mechanics and whizz kids are at stake! :)

Yesterday I was in our Amsterdam Apple store and I went out with a working new iPhone 5 and he also gave me the name of a media player that can play all my old AVI video movies and did after a 5 minute install!. A thing I spend hours trying an other program without any success!
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Roel Jansen.

• k-townguy
  • Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Mechanic
More
4 years 5 months ago #3260 by k-townguy
k-townguy replied the topic: What a difference a mechanic makes
Amen to that brother.when you first told me about the hammer and chisel to install the gimbal bearing i was like WTF. When doing cables, if you don't have that shift plate on the back of the bellhousing/gimbal ring, you're beat right from the beginning.

Glad to see you're back on the water Dave.

Enjoy the rest of the summer

1985 Bayliner 2150 Ciera Sunbridge
VP AQ 125A/270

"FOUR PLAY'N"
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough to do it right the second time.

• David
  • David's Avatar Topic Author
  • Admiral - Administrator
More
4 years 5 months ago #3261 by David
David replied the topic: What a difference a mechanic makes
Thanks guys. The original mechanic was not cheap and has years of experience. He unfortunately is getting older, forgets appointments, doesn't show up and either hands off the work to his son or other apprentice employee's who don't know what their doing. He is a really nice guy, as long as he is not working on my boat.

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

• Roel Jansen
  • Visitor
4 years 5 months ago #3264 by Roel Jansen
Roel Jansen replied the topic: What a difference a mechanic makes
For the Mechanic he is very fortunately that he is getting old :mrgreen:

But I think it's time for him to realize that there is a time when your job is over and it's time to retire. And if you are a nice guy or not doesn't matter imho. He will become a nice retired old man and doesn't do any harm, to nice people like you who had faith that he would be able to do the job? Sad I don't think so, if you look what you and maybe a lot of others have lost? :) But some one must have the nerves to tell him to stop! Ofcourse in the nicest possible way! :mrgreen:

I knew a guy who was head of what we call a Prepress department today at one of the bigger printing Companies.
Unexpected I met him behind a stand where old crafts were shown on a Printing fair. He told me he had ask for retirement' He realised that at his age he was no longer capable to properly lead the department as he feared not to be able to follow all the new developments that were coming up.

To day diagnostics at modern boat engines with mpi are done by plugging in a computer to the engine and confirm what is maybe already thought is the problem.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: kingstonal
Time to create page: 0.635 seconds