× Technical Discussions

Heading Sensor

• HFXJACK
  • HFXJACK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Able Seaman
More
3 years 8 months ago #4216 by HFXJACK
HFXJACK created the topic: Heading Sensor
Last year I updated my electronics. I purchased the Raymarine E7D c/w 18D Radar. However without a heading sensor I could not overlay. While that was not the end of the world overlay would be nice to have. When I went looking for heading sensor I could not believe everything was North of $500.00. Then went to Lowrance web site and found the Point 1. $199.00 US. So now I am into how can something so cheap work! Searched over the winter never found any bad reviews so went online EBay bought one for $190.00 shipped express post for $5.00 to my US mailbox. So round trip across the line including stopping for gas of less than 35 minutes. I have my heading sensor. It is NMEA 2000. Yesterday went to the boat connected to my N2 network and powered up. My LMF400 discovered it automatically as it replaced a Garmin GPS I had on the network. Powered up my chart plotter discovered heading sensor and voila there was the point 1. Hit enter boom radar overlay for <$215.00 CDN minus a tank of cheap US gas.
Good day all around.
PS if you cross the line on a regular basis by any means Nexus is a must. When I hit the border south non nexus line was looking like 20 minutes minimum. Nexus had 1 car in front of me, scan your card drive up to agent he says thank you . Coming back line is 30 minutes or more. Scan card tell agent where I was what I bought and for how much he tells me to have a good day. Special lines at airports as well.

HFXJACK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #4217 by David
David replied the topic: Heading Sensor
Good call on the sensor :) I get a lot of stuff from the States via the same method as you. I wish Canadian Prices were at least a match so I could buy here :S I also agree with the Nexus. Its the best $50.00 investment we have made. :woohoo:

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

• bobsyiruncle
  • Visitor
3 years 8 months ago #4221 by bobsyiruncle
bobsyiruncle replied the topic: Heading Sensor
I got a nexus a few years ago and it is great.
On the issue of product pricing you can see my earlier thread on " I couldn't resist "
I can hardly wait until some Chinese firm starts balancing props

• freedre
  • Visitor
3 years 8 months ago #4223 by freedre
freedre replied the topic: Heading Sensor
Another big NEXUS fan here.

Well worth the time and money to get one.

If you're in the BC lower mainland or on the island, go to the Vancouver airport to do the interviews.

• Dutchpirate
  • Visitor
3 years 8 months ago #4232 by Dutchpirate
Dutchpirate replied the topic: Heading Sensor
Just did my NEXUS interview in Calgary. Made a weekend of it and saw Cavalia/Odysseo. Hadn't occured to me to cross border for boat stuff, Havre MT 2.5 hours, wonder if they have a good shop there?

• HFXJACK
  • HFXJACK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Able Seaman
More
3 years 4 months ago #4416 by HFXJACK
HFXJACK replied the topic: Heading Sensor
Latest firmware upgrade gave me chart overlay for radar without need of heading sensor. Don't tell the Admiral I wasted $200.00. It also gave me auto routing . Real cool. Place waypoint at start another at end and build route that's it your done.

HFXJACK

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: kingstonal
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds