× Technical Discussions

Marine engines in Hamilton-Toronto area

• lolar3288
  • lolar3288's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
3 years 4 months ago #4410 by lolar3288
lolar3288 created the topic: Marine engines in Hamilton-Toronto area
It looks like I will need to do some engine work this fall. I have a 3288 with twin 351's and I really have not made my mind up as to which way to go.

Two brand new out of crate engines complete with heads, starter and carb.
Two supplied, rebuilt engines as above.

Have the two current engines rebuilt.

I would also like to sort of drop the boat off and pick it up rather than do the work myself as getting those engines out looks like a real pain! The boat is not trailerable which is another pain.

Has anyone had this work done in the Hamilton, Toronto area that could give me some guidance or suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #4411 by David
David replied the topic: Marine engines in Hamilton-Toronto area
Send K-townguy a PM. He is both a Marine Mechanic and is also originally from Hamilton. He may be able to provide you some advice.

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

• Chief Alen
  • Able Seaman
  • Manalapan NJ
More
3 years 4 months ago #4413 by Chief Alen
Chief Alen replied the topic: Marine engines in Hamilton-Toronto area
If i had the choice i would go gm, new crate engines.

If i may explain my thoughts ... cheaper down the road when it comes to maint.Ford has gone the way of the do do bird when it comes to boat engines.

Parts for a gm say 5.7 will be available till the end of time, and cheaper then Ford parts.

Some may say " aw the Chief hates Ford engines " not true .

The 351w engine and the 351c engines i know inside and out. My father loved Fords, had LTD's Galaxy's Torino's so forth,

I actually liked the 351c but some don't know it's a completely different engine, than the 351w.

I urge caution, and thoughtful perspective, concerning the choice of engines.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

• freedre
  • Visitor
3 years 4 months ago #4414 by freedre
freedre replied the topic: Marine engines in Hamilton-Toronto area
Have you thought about diesel?

If you go with different blocks, ie the 5.7's that chief mentions, diesels won't be much more expensive.

FWIW, I think that the 32xx's are an excellent candidate for a complete re-fit.

• Chief Alen
  • Able Seaman
  • Manalapan NJ
More
3 years 4 months ago #4415 by Chief Alen
Chief Alen replied the topic: Marine engines in Hamilton-Toronto area
Depending on use of the boat, Diesels are a option, however i would be interested in a cost comparison.

With diesels the maint. is a whole other situation.

A properly set up 5.7l old school, without all the fancy electronic sensors would be the way i would go if i had to replace the 5.0l in my boat.

This boat is a planning boat ?

It's a inboard ?

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

• lolar3288
  • lolar3288's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
3 years 4 months ago #4418 by lolar3288
lolar3288 replied the topic: Marine engines in Hamilton-Toronto area
The 3288 is no true planning boat! More of a high power brick!

I ran a transit fleet for awhile and a city fleet and diesels are not really economically feasible as the engine cost is around $30,000 each and you have to change transmissions and props as well as all the instrumentation (not sure about shafts). I can buy a crate gas engine for around $7000 and rebuilds seem to be around $3000??? In Canada you only have summer usage so in theory, you would never get the use out of a diesel and fuel cost is only reduced by about 1/2 which in my case would be about a $3000 a year savings. Hard to get a payback!

The problem with the 3288 is it is a bugger to get the engines out and I prefer to have one source if I have to do engines (supply and install).

We did the plugs today (5 hour job!) and found two dead plugs in one engine and one in the other so maybe I jumped the gun a bit. I will take it for a run this week and see how it performs. compression was 130.

My boat has the 351T (truck) which I think is the 351w. I have been told, but don't know for sure, that the 351w has an extra main bearing journal to the 351c.

I also don't know how much work would be involved to change mountings and angles to fit GM blocks but agree that they are more available and I could change to V6's.

Too many choices!

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: kingstonal
Time to create page: 0.456 seconds