× Technical Discussions

Electrical switch not working?

• kjs
  • Visitor
3 years 3 months ago #4501 by kjs
kjs replied the topic: Electrical switch not working?
Pertinax isn't a real plastic. It is "cardboard" soaked with some resin. I am 100% sure that the contact cleaner spray I use doesn't hurt it as I have used it a lot of times on Pertinax since then. Everything hydro-carbon is dangerous including simple oil.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dmcb
  • dmcb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Vice Admiral
More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #4502 by dmcb
dmcb replied the topic: Electrical switch not working?
What kind of switch are you talking about?
I have used WD40 on all kinds. Even electrical switches at home.
Sometimes it doesn't help but you know that right away. I would say maybe 90% of the time in my experience it does.
I mentioned the kill switch on my 3870. The other one did the same thing a year or so ago. Yup, WD40 fixed it.
The horn button on the upper helm failed this season. Same results.
The bilge pump switch on my Sea Nymph tender and the horn button on it. Its about a 1990 and these switches were out in the weather. Both working now.
A coffee pot switch at home. Also a light switch were some recent uses.
You have your experiences and I have mine.
Personally I wouldn't hesitate to try it. After all it isn't working and at that point my thinking is I have little to lose.
I always have WD40. I have never had an electrical cleaner. Why would I need it when I have WD40?
this is my opinion only here but I find it strange you offer your one kind of switch making it sound like they are common when I have used this for well over 10 years and never ran into a switch that failed.
First it was the kero in WD40 destroying the plastic in the switch. When it was shown there was no kero, it was something else. Then it wasn't really plastic but cardboard.
Come on, for the switches most of are likely to encounter this may work. On a boat if a switch fails it could be serious. A bilge pump switch which left it on as it was in my case could result in a dead battery.
If something many carry will resolve the problem, then IMO, try it. If it destroys a cardboard switch, so be it. There is no place on a boat for a cardboard switch anyway and it should be replaced.

Doug
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by dmcb.

• lolar3288
  • Visitor
3 years 3 months ago #4505 by lolar3288
lolar3288 replied the topic: Electrical switch not working?
I banned WD-40 from our transit garage (60+ mechanics and a staff of 125) because of the flammability of it. The stuff is a great starter fluid though!

My concern would be a spark in the switch before all the WD-40 vapour was dispersed.

• Chief Alen
  • Able Seaman
  • Manalapan NJ
More
3 years 3 months ago #4506 by Chief Alen
Chief Alen replied the topic: Electrical switch not working?
I also use cRc contact cleaner.

It works really, really great.

Just used it on a turn signal problem, spray and now it works. Switch's on and off the boat, key switch contacts, battery contacts.

Freekin compressor same thing.

Can i drink this c#$t.

Doug... this is the future calling you, come into the 21st century, go to the store, buy CRC, they have sensor cleaner just for that use. They have contact cleaner, brake cleaner.

New technology, yea !

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

• dmcb
  • dmcb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Vice Admiral
More
3 years 3 months ago #4507 by dmcb
dmcb replied the topic: Electrical switch not working?
WD40 is flammable but not like it used to be. I doubt it would make starting fluid any longer.
I sprayed some on an open flame and it burned but nothing exciting.
You could use some from a squirt can and eliminate that problem.
Doug

Doug

• roddy
  • Visitor
3 years 3 months ago #4509 by roddy
roddy replied the topic: Electrical switch not working?
For any low current momentary contact switch or quick fix, go ahead use wd40 or contact cleaner.
Load carrying switches that are failing may be from a number of causes.
The cause could be dirty contacts which the contact cleaner cleans...
Or it could be mechanical fault, which solvents may not correct 100%.
Why risk an over heated switch. :-?

If we are talking about open or disassembled switches, like starter solenoid's, main battery switches etc., then one is able to determine the cause of problem and evaluate its safety. Then cleaning and lubrication may be correct repair. :)

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: kingstonal
Time to create page: 0.658 seconds