× Technical Discussions

rain water leaks

• eagle light
  • eagle light's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago #368 by eagle light
eagle light created the topic: rain water leaks
I have a 1999 bayliner 4788 Pilothouse that has rain water leaking into the main salon above the window valance on both sides anyone else out there having this problem or have any sugestions on a fix

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #369 by dmcb
dmcb replied the topic: Re: rain water leaks
hello and welcome.
As you know leaks are sometimes hard to find. I would start by re bedding the chrome trim along the sides. Or at least be sure all the screws are there and tight.
The other place is any rails or seat fasteners at your upper helm. This is more common than you might expect but it is also serious. I am not sure on your year but there is a core between the floor and the ceiling of your salon. If any of these fittings leak and water gets in, the core can dissolve and you are left with a pretty serious fix.
You know there is water somewhere and you need to get it stopped as soon as possible.
If the core becomes wet it will be like mush and you will notice your upper helm floor will get spongy when you walk on it.
Many feel re bedding the rail mountings is normal maintenance on these boats.
Sorry I can't be more specific.
Doug

Doug
Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by dmcb.

More
5 years 10 months ago #375 by David
David replied the topic: Re: rain water leaks
I have noted the same issue on both boats I have owned, regular maintaince includes the reseating of the rails and deck fittings to avoid leaks

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

• eagle light
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago #376 by eagle light
eagle light replied the topic: Re: rain water leaks
Thanks guys for your advice, I have tried in vane all the things you guys have said, my next option is remove the radar arch and check the base to see if it may have cracks there, not an option i relly want to do because it is quite a lot of work.

More
5 years 10 months ago #377 by David
David replied the topic: Re: rain water leaks
Does the leak show up during heavy rain, light rain ? Would it be possible to add some non staining food color to some water, try it around some likly areas to try to trace it ?

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

• eagle light
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago #378 by eagle light
eagle light replied the topic: Re: rain water leaks
It only leaks at heavy rain and windy on either side this why I'm thinking it is coming in under the radar arch base, I'll know soon. I'm planning on removing the arch as soon as I can arrange a crane to remove it.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: kingstonal
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds