× Technical Discussions

Who Knows Diesel Fuel Additives/Care?

• Zoomie
  • Zoomie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Able Seaman
More
11 months 1 week ago #6835 by Zoomie
Zoomie created the topic: Who Knows Diesel Fuel Additives/Care?
I have a 2002 3988 and have owned for two years. I have absolutely no idea as to the condition of the inside of the tanks, but suffice to say that I try to keep from going below 1/4 fearing a science project could be growing inside. I have absolutely no reason to believe there is a specific reason for that to be happening, but I don't want to take any chances.
Without opening up the tanks (I suspect the only way to do that would be to remove them), are there "proven" additives/conditioners on the market that will "dissolve" any impurities in my fuel?
Boat is on the hard with half fuel in each tank. What and when should I apply to the fuel?

Thanks in advance

Zoomie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 1 week ago - 11 months 1 week ago #6836 by David
David replied the topic: Who Knows Diesel Fuel Additives/Care?
There is a lot of information on fuel contamination out there but the best site that I have seen describe the issues and solutions is Bell Performance .

They outline the issue and how to test to see if you have a problem to begin with. Although they are talking about generators it would apply to any type of storage.

If you are experiencing these kind of symptoms or problems, the first step is to do a microbe test - typically done by taking a sample of fuel from the bottom of the tank. There are special test pads that are treated with sterile water and dipped into the diesel fuel sample. The sample is then placed in a sterile plastic incubation bag, placed in a dark place and allowed to sit for five days. If the fuel is infected the microbes will grow on the sample. If you have a large number of generators we would suggest spot testing a sampling of them. If the tests are positive we recommend treating all your generators to get them all to a base line where you know where you stand. The only way you will know this for sure is to treat all stored diesel storage fuel.

Killing Microbes in Fuel

When you have infected fuel, you have to add a biocide to kill the living microbes. But that's just the first step. Once the microbes are dead, they don't just disappear. And whatever biocide you add to the fuel to kill them, that's all it does - kill the bacteria or fungus. It doesn't dissolve them or destroy them or vaporize them or make them disappear. The biocide kills the microbes. Which means you still have a bunch of dead microbe bodies floating around in the fuel that you have to get rid of.

The next step is simply running the fuel through some filters as it is being used. Depending on how bad the infection was, you might have to change the filters a few times, but eventually, all the dead microbes will be gone and you'll have clean fuel to use.

Hope this helps :)

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's
Last Edit: 11 months 1 week ago by David.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zoomie

• Zoomie
  • Zoomie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Able Seaman
More
11 months 1 week ago #6869 by Zoomie
Zoomie replied the topic: Who Knows Diesel Fuel Additives/Care?
David,

This is exactly what I had been looking for. Thanks for your help!

More
11 months 1 week ago #6870 by David
David replied the topic: Who Knows Diesel Fuel Additives/Care?
No problem, that's what were here for ;)

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: kingstonal
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds