West Coast Internet

• Bobhicks
  • Bobhicks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Able Seaman
More
4 weeks 2 days ago #7302 by Bobhicks
Bobhicks created the topic: West Coast Internet
Hi Guys
As I am in Ontario and the boat is in Nanaimo I am trying to figure out how to get internet on the boat. There is a Shaw Go antenna on the dock right behind my boat but I don't have a Shaw account and they won't sell me just a Wifi Go account. Are there any other alternatives?
Thanks

P/C Bob Hicks JN
Dock Holiday, 1992 Bayliner 3888 Double Cabin Flybridge Cruiser
Twin Hino W04TI 210 HP Diesels with Hurth HSW630A 2.0:1 Trannys
Westerbeke 8.0 BTD-614 8KW Genset
Avon 9 ft 6 in Tender with a Tohatsu M8B 8HP outboard
Currently moored at Stones Marina in Nanaimo B.C.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 weeks 2 days ago #7305 by David
David replied the topic: West Coast Internet
Bob I used to carry a Wi-Fi extender and router that shipped from the USA. I have one on my boat and I can pick up and boost not only the signal from my marina but from the town across the river over 6 miles away. The RedPort Halo is a great product in my opinion. It grabs the signal and creates a hotspot on your boat for all your devices. We can stream Netflix and even get Bell Fibe while on the RedPort but not when connected directly to the marinas wifi. If you contact John Dark at Report and tell him CBOC Marine sent you I am sure he can fix you up www.redportglobal.com/marine-satellite-i...ifi-extender-system/

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

• Bobhicks
  • Bobhicks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Able Seaman
More
4 weeks 14 hours ago #7308 by Bobhicks
Bobhicks replied the topic: West Coast Internet
Thanks for the info David. I will look into the RedPort extender. I am assuming it requires a free WiFi hot spot within 7 km to tap into so that even if my marina only has ShawGo which I can't use as I don't have an account then as long as there is a free hot spot within the 7 km I am good to go.

P/C Bob Hicks JN
Dock Holiday, 1992 Bayliner 3888 Double Cabin Flybridge Cruiser
Twin Hino W04TI 210 HP Diesels with Hurth HSW630A 2.0:1 Trannys
Westerbeke 8.0 BTD-614 8KW Genset
Avon 9 ft 6 in Tender with a Tohatsu M8B 8HP outboard
Currently moored at Stones Marina in Nanaimo B.C.

More
4 weeks 12 hours ago #7309 by David
Yes if you can see a signal in the router from a wifi point and you have the password it will come int

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #7316 by bobofthenorth
bobofthenorth replied the topic: West Coast Internet

Bobhicks wrote: Hi Guys
As I am in Ontario and the boat is in Nanaimo I am trying to figure out how to get internet on the boat. There is a Shaw Go antenna on the dock right behind my boat but I don't have a Shaw account and they won't sell me just a Wifi Go account. Are there any other alternatives?
Thanks

There's a pay-fer internet on a lot of the docks on the left coast. I can't remember the name right now but its common enough that you'll run into it once you get on the boat. You pay a monthly subscription and it provides secure wifi at many of the marinas. We never used it because Sasktel has some awesome data plans. I've got unlimited data on my cell phone for $60/month. That plan is no longer available to new subscriptions but I'll never let it go. We used a Motorola cell booster all up the coast. There's pockets where we didn't have coverage but surprisingly few between Victoria and Ketchikan. Sasktel is a Bell Mobility partner but Rogers has pretty decent coverage as well.

If you're looking to steal open wifi there's getting to be fewer and fewer of those routers out there. We had a home wifi extender that we used when we were on a dock with weak wifi provided. The one we used was meant for indoor use but I just put it in a Ziploc bag and hung it on the top of the mast. It would take an otherwise unusable wifi signal and give us both good solid access onboard.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
Buchanan, SK
1990 Bayliner 2755 Cierra
Previously - 1980 Defever 43 "Gray Hawk"

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #7317 by David
Interesting Bob. What type of cell phone do you have ? Are you using something like this ?
cellphonesignalbooster.us/marine-cell-ph...x-470510-marine-kit/

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's
Attachments:

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: kingstonal
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds