Bayliner Owners Club on Facebook and Twitter (11 Jun 2018)

Bayliner Owners Club is fast becoming the most Active Bayliner Site on the Internet !
To date our Facebook Group has over 927 ACTIVE Members, 1.3K Posts, 7.3K Comments and 13.6K Reactions - www.facebook.com/groups/BaylinerOwnersClub/ Lots of Information and daily posts from members just like you !
OurTwitter Feed has 19.2K Tweets and 1.2K Followers twitter.com/baylinerowners

× Technical Discussions

Trim Tab Extensions

• David
  • David's Avatar Topic Author
  • Admiral - Administrator
More
6 years 3 weeks ago - 6 years 3 weeks ago #1200 by David
Trim Tab Extensions was created by David
Installed my new aluminum trim tab extensions :) Thanks again to Bob Johnsons Welding in Ottawa $40.00 cdn for both extensions, You just cant beat Bob's prices :cheer:

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by David.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #1202 by jamie mac
Replied by jamie mac on topic Trim Tab Extensions
Nice idea do they bolt on to your old ones?

2006 mainship rumrunner

• David
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #1203 by David
Replied by David on topic Trim Tab Extensions
Thanks :) Yes I had him custom make and bend them then drilled and bolted them to the old Bennet tabs. I think :unsure: I should get better lift and thus reach plane faster with the down fins. As soon as I finish the other projects about two weeks from now if the weather co-operates I will test and see what they do.
My drives were being serviced today as well. New bearings, water hoses, lower shift cables, gimble pins, exhaust and drive belows etc. :X Probably cost me more than I paid for the boat but I should fly and be worry free for awhile. :woohoo:

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #1204 by jamie mac
Replied by jamie mac on topic Trim Tab Extensions
Is there any concern that the extra square inches will put strain on the hydraulics

2006 mainship rumrunner

• David
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #1205 by David
Replied by David on topic Trim Tab Extensions
Not that I have seen and read so far but it is a valid point and was one of the reasons I only went 2" longer and not wider.

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

More
6 years 3 weeks ago - 6 years 3 weeks ago #1208 by Tabman
Replied by Tabman on topic Trim Tab Extensions
Hello, Tom McGow from Bennett Marine here.

Adding Trim Tab extensions can be helpful but some care needs to be taken when considering this project.

It is always better and more efficient if the Trim Tab can be increased in span (side to side measurement) versus chord (fore to aft measurement). the longer side to side measurement makes better use of the water flow over the Trim Tab with less loss of water pressure out the sides. David's addition of the Drop Fins on the side will really help by capturing the pressure lost out the sides by channeling it aft to generate additional lift. We manufacture add on Drop Fins that can be bolted on to a 12" chord Trim Tab to give a bit more lift and it is an easy retrofit:

Adding chord does put additional strain on the actuators (rams) and can damage them. 2" additional like Dave's is probably OK, but if adding chord we would recommend adding a minimal amount and adding a second actuator. The actuators can be damaged if the boat is backed down hard, water piles up on the top of the Trim Tabs and the additional chord increases the leverage and risk of breaking the actuators as the Trim Tab is forced down. Adding side to side measurement is far less stressful on the actuators and it is worth noting that we manufacture stock Trim Tabs up to 42" x 12" with single actuators.

Lastly I would recommend using 304 stainless instead of aluminum. Placing two dissimilar metals such as aluminum and stainless together will invite corrosion. Dave's boat is used in fresh water so the effect will be minimal but it is still a factor. If the boat was used in saltwater the aluminum would be damaged in short order even with the use of zincs on the Trim Tabs.

I hope this is helpful,
Tom McGow
Bennett Marine
Last edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by Tabman. Reason: added info

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: kingstonal
Time to create page: 0.599 seconds