Bayliner Owners Club on Facebook and Twitter (11 Jun 2018)

Bayliner Owners Club is fast becoming the most Active Bayliner Site on the Internet !
To date our Facebook Group has over 927 ACTIVE Members, 1.3K Posts, 7.3K Comments and 13.6K Reactions - www.facebook.com/groups/BaylinerOwnersClub/ Lots of Information and daily posts from members just like you !
OurTwitter Feed has 19.2K Tweets and 1.2K Followers twitter.com/baylinerowners

× Technical Discussions

Trim Tab Extensions

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #1209 by jamie mac
Replied by jamie mac on topic Trim Tab Extensions

Tabman wrote: Hello, Tom McGow from Bennett Marine here.

Adding Trim Tab extensions can be helpful but some care needs to be taken when considering this project.

It is always better and more efficient if the Trim Tab can be increased in span (side to side measurement) versus chord (fore to aft measurement). the longer side to side measurement makes better use of the water flow over the Trim Tab with less loss of water pressure out the sides. David's addition of the Drop Fins on the side will really help by capturing the pressure lost out the sides by channeling it aft to generate additional lift. We manufacture add on Drop Fins that can be bolted on to a 12" chord Trim Tab to give a bit more lift and it is an easy retrofit:

Adding chord does put additional strain on the actuators (rams) and can damage them. 2" additional like Dave's is probably OK, but if adding chord we would recommend adding a minimal amount and adding a second actuator. The actuators can be damaged if the boat is backed down hard, water piles up on the top of the Trim Tabs and the additional chord increases the leverage and risk of breaking the actuators as the Trim Tab is forced down. Adding side to side measurement is far less stressful on the actuators and it is worth noting that we manufacture stock Trim Tabs up to 42" x 12" with single actuators.

Lastly I would recommend using 304 stainless instead of aluminum. Placing two dissimilar metals such as aluminum and stainless together will invite corrosion. Dave's boat is used in fresh water so the effect will be minimal but it is still a factor. If the boat was used in saltwater the aluminum would be damaged in short order even with the use of zincs on the Trim Tabs.

I hope this is helpful,
Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

very helpful tom

2006 mainship rumrunner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• freedre
  • Visitor
6 years 3 weeks ago #1210 by freedre
Replied by freedre on topic Trim Tab Extensions
+1

Thanks for taking the time Tom.

• David
  • David's Avatar Topic Author
  • Admiral - Administrator
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #1211 by David
Replied by David on topic Trim Tab Extensions
Thanks for the info Tom, it is greatly appreciated. My original tabs were aluminum and all bent hence the reason for the heavier aluminum :) I could not go any wider due to clearance with the drives so I opted for the 2" I hope that works. I noted your extentions have a slope towards the bow, is that to reduce the catching of weeds on the tabs ?

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

More
6 years 3 weeks ago - 6 years 3 weeks ago #1212 by Tabman
Replied by Tabman on topic Trim Tab Extensions
David,

I gotta disagree, looking at the Trim Tabs they are without a doubt original Bennett and made from 304 stainless steel.

Yes, we taper the leading edge of the fins back so they do not catch weeds or other debris. The taper also is important in that without it the fins can bend inboard or outboard from the water pressure if they are not perfectly alined with the centerline of the boat and exactly 90 degrees straight down from the Tab. If you notice them bending I would recommend cutting the taper.

Tom
Bennett Marine
Last edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by Tabman.

• David
  • David's Avatar Topic Author
  • Admiral - Administrator
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #1213 by David
Replied by David on topic Trim Tab Extensions
Excellent Tom Thanks I will taper the leading edge. :)

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

More
6 years 1 week ago #1310 by jamie mac
Replied by jamie mac on topic Trim Tab Extensions
how did they work david? did you notice a difference?

2006 mainship rumrunner

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: kingstonal
Time to create page: 0.455 seconds