Bayliner Owners Club on Facebook and Twitter (11 Jun 2018)

Bayliner Owners Club is fast becoming the most Active Bayliner Site on the Internet !
To date our Facebook Group has over 1,036 ACTIVE Members, 1.5K Posts, 8.9K Comments and 16.014K Reactions - www.facebook.com/groups/BaylinerOwnersClub/ Lots of Information and daily posts from members just like you !
Our Twitter Feed has 19.2K Tweets and 1.2K Followers twitter.com/baylinerowners

× Technical Discussions

Product test article: Efoy

• kathygillispickles
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #2587 by kathygillispickles
Product test article: Efoy was created by kathygillispickles
I stumbled upon an blurb on the Canadian Yachting website www.canadianyachting.ca/marine-products/...l/921-efoy-fuel-cell , which lead me to an article in Pacific Yachting on the efoy.

As I have mentioned we are in the process of installing one as a means to keep our battery bank topped up for extended stays on the hook and to support a future installation of a freezer unit (for that elusive Broughton Archipelago cruise).
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by kathygillispickles.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kathygillispickles
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
5 years 3 months ago #2588 by kathygillispickles
Replied by kathygillispickles on topic Product test article: Efoy
Sorry, I tried attaching the pdf of the article but it is too large.
There is a link to it on this page: www.standard-hydrogen.com/
click on article(pdf)

• Roel Jansen
  • Visitor
5 years 3 months ago #2589 by Roel Jansen
Replied by Roel Jansen on topic Product test article: Efoy
For give me but what am I overlooking? What are the pro's of this product? Weight? Portable?
As I understand it correct the only thing is it fills the batteries and is not suitable for read what's written at the end of the article. With my Honda generator I can produce 220 volts and also fill up my batteries with the help of my shore power cord.
The biggest con imho is to be depending on a company that sells the canisters!While with a built in Westerbeke, Onan or others you can use or gas or diesel that depending on what kind of engines you have. But again I maybe overlooking something!

• kathygillispickles
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
5 years 3 months ago #2590 by kathygillispickles
Replied by kathygillispickles on topic Product test article: Efoy
It's intended use is to keep your battery bank charged.
Like article said if you have an electric stove, washer/dryer combo, A/C, etc. the efoy won't be useful. We like long cruises and staying on the hook, so topping up using shore power is not an option. We have a honda generator but hate using it and are aware that fellow boaters in anchorages are not keen on hearing the generator either.
This product won't suit everyone but it is perfectly suited to our needs. Our biggest power drain is our 2 refrigerators, and they run alot in hot weather, which is when we do our longer cruises. Currently we have to move every two days, and run for at least 2 hours, so the high output alternators can charge up the battery bank. With the efoy we can have the battery bank charged, with no noise, while we enjoy being at anchor for as long as we want and make shorter hops between spots.
Yes, having a single source for the fuel did give us pause and is a cause for concern. But there are no guarantees in life and sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith. But we were considering the $25,000 genset route, so the $5,000 option seemed worth the gamble.

More
5 years 3 months ago #2591 by HFXJACK
Replied by HFXJACK on topic Product test article: Efoy
+1

For Sale 1 Yamaha 1K generator :-p

I can go just about 3 days on my batteries with everything running. Our boat is smaller than yours. After 3 days we need Ice or food or Beer so moving is no big deal. I no longer carry the generator and like you was never comfortable running while on the hook.

HFXJACK

• Roel Jansen
  • Visitor
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #2592 by Roel Jansen
Replied by Roel Jansen on topic Product test article: Efoy
OK, We too like to be be on the boat and we take 4 weeks every summer . The weekend we mostly go on the hook. During Holiday we also do visit special Marinas for passengers by and unique artificial free of charge islands with no other service than a small pier with cleats to attach the boat. With the Honda on board we supply our electricity needs. It makes some noise but with a insulation mat it's not that bad. But that's very personal to like it or hate it. Other boaters make noise too so we take as much room that is needed to avoid having a problem with it. IF they have, they are to darn close! And to meet the standard of our needs for Coffee we have a coffee maker that runs on 220 volts. :) And we have more on board that needs it. Our two fridges run on 12V and 220V.
But don't think I find the Efoy not interesting! I visited their German Website and saw they have a Dutch boat builder who installs them. And if it fits your demand why not?
I wonder what dmcb thinks of it, as he is a really long time boater on the waters each year.

Taking risks with a German product? We just did it again! After 5 years company lease of a BMW 520, we were not so impressed of that car! One of the last trips she made was supposed to bring her at a meeting in Brussels. Wasn't the first time that car let her down! Now since the 14th of February she has a brand new type BMW 320 Diesel! Her first trip to Brussels was a success she made it without trouble! But one swallow doesn't make summer! :)

Btw I gave your Karma a boost! :mrgreen:
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Roel Jansen.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: kingstonal
Time to create page: 1.086 seconds