Bayliner Owners Club on Facebook and Twitter (11 Jun 2018)

Bayliner Owners Club is fast becoming the most Active Bayliner Site on the Internet !
To date our Facebook Group has over 1,036 ACTIVE Members, 1.5K Posts, 8.9K Comments and 16.014K Reactions - www.facebook.com/groups/BaylinerOwnersClub/ Lots of Information and daily posts from members just like you !
Our Twitter Feed has 19.2K Tweets and 1.2K Followers twitter.com/baylinerowners

× Technical Discussions

BATTERY FOR BOWTHRUSTER

• jamie mac
  • Topic Author
  • Able Seaman
More
5 years 2 months ago #2874 by jamie mac
BATTERY FOR BOWTHRUSTER was created by jamie mac
I finished my install of a separate deep cycle battery for my bow thruster. Last fall I noticed a large drop on the voltmeter when I used bow thruster so I installed a battery with a 325 amp fuse directly to the thruster . I also installed a battery shut off switch which is easy to reach to isolate the battery if I had to work on thruster. then I installed a Genius smart charger that trickle charges battery when hooked to shore power. i already had the battery and the charger so cost was reasonable around 150 bucks for new cables fuse holder and shut off switch . it would also be easy to use a solar charger but I would have had to cut a few more holes :( .

2006 mainship rumrunner
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #2876 by David
Replied by David on topic BATTERY FOR BOWTHRUSTER
Whats a Bow Thruster? Is that like a walker for seniors :evil: Nice job looks like the you will have the power there when you need it :)

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #2877 by HFXJACK
Replied by HFXJACK on topic BATTERY FOR BOWTHRUSTER
A few questions Jamie. Where did you install the battery? Is the wire size suitable for 325 amp? What is the full load amps of the thruster?

Just concerned about safety.

Few years back had a 325 for 2 weeks with a thruster. Was never too proud to hit the switch every once and a while :mrgreen:

HFXJACK
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by HFXJACK. Reason: spelling

• jamie mac
  • Topic Author
  • Able Seaman
More
5 years 2 months ago #2885 by jamie mac
Replied by jamie mac on topic BATTERY FOR BOWTHRUSTER

HFXJACK wrote: A few questions Jamie. Where did you install the battery? Is the wire size suitable for 325 amp? What is the full load amps of the thruster?

Just concerned about safety.

Few years back had a 325 for 2 weeks with a thruster. Was never too proud to hit the switch every once and a while :mrgreen:

it is 1/0 wire and fuse size was recomended by a marine mechanic who used my sidethruster manual. the battery will only be turned on when thruster is needed.

2006 mainship rumrunner

More
5 years 2 months ago #2886 by HFXJACK
Replied by HFXJACK on topic BATTERY FOR BOWTHRUSTER
Good to hear. I found it was better to arm the thruster before entering port. So it was available in a pinch. The few times I didn't arm it because I thought I didn't need it I got caught. Reached for the switch to give a burst and dead. From there things went bad. :silly:

Now if we could only get some boating Weather. Oh wait we already went down that road :evil:

HFXJACK

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: kingstonal
Time to create page: 1.229 seconds