Bayliner Owners Club on Facebook and Twitter (18 Feb 2018)

Over 440 members and growing on our Facebook Group - www.facebook.com/groups/BaylinerOwnersClub/
Lots of Information and daily posts from members just like you !
Your can also join our 1,235 members on Twitter, twitter.com/baylinerowners

× Technical Discussions

Thanks to SmartCraft!

• Roel Jansen
  • Roel Jansen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #2916 by Roel Jansen
Roel Jansen created the topic: Thanks to SmartCraft!
Last week we went out for our first trip! Nice calm weather and we decided not to go on plane but take a ride about 12 km an hour. After 3 hours we were back and all seemed to work well.

Two days before I found out the macerator was not working and a work order was made.
Washing some dishes my wife said the water is bloody hot as we say it here.
Next day I put my Chart Plotter on to Change some functions. When done I went to the function engine problems here SmartCraft puts a lot of data of the engines performance if something is wrong. Normally you only get a writing in two red banners about motor failure, as Smart Craft sees shutting the engines off as a fault.
To my big surprise I saw a lot of faults mentioned like engine over heating no enough cooling to the engines. Very strange as during the trip all gauges were giving the usual data. First thought was Smart C went south.

Went to the Chief mechanic and he said I will look at it on my computer directly from the engines. What he found wasn't making him happy same faults as on the Chart Plotter. In the mean time I discovered that the macerator was working!

What puzzled us was that no alarm went off and it happened at the same time on both engines. He said we will as a precaution look at the impellers. Next morning when I came in he said on my desk I have a nice surprise for you!
2 impellers who were missing some blades.

The impellers were not changed over the 6 six years since the boat arrived in plastic. The damage was not enough to put on the engine alarms or influenced the analog gauges to change to much higher temps. But it explains why the water was so hot! :)
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Roel Jansen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Visitor
4 years 11 months ago #2919 by Go Aweigh2452
Go Aweigh2452 replied the topic: Thanks to SmartCraft!
You really need to inspect those impellers annually. Most people change them either annually or every two years. Your lucky you did not end your trip at the extreme end of the distance from the marina.

More
4 years 11 months ago #2920 by HFXJACK
HFXJACK replied the topic: Thanks to SmartCraft!

Roel Jansen wrote: The damage was not enough to put on the engine alarms or influenced the analog gauges to change to much higher temps. But it explains why the water was so hot! :)

Roel, are your dash gauges part of the smart craft or separate gauges with separate sensors than what smart craft uses? Strange temps were high enough to log on smart craft but not high enough to alarm.

Agree on impellor no more than two years between changes. Even if they don't fail they will flex and stay flexed reducing efficiency. If you ever have an overheat issue run you buss heater if it is on the failed engine. Might get you home

Cheers

HFXJACK

• Roel Jansen
  • Visitor
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #2921 by Roel Jansen
Roel Jansen replied the topic: Thanks to SmartCraft!

Go Aweigh2452 wrote: You really need to inspect those impellers annually. Most people change them either annually or every two years. Your lucky you did not end your trip at the extreme end of the distance from the marina.

Doug, believe me often I asked if the impellers should be inspected or be replaced. I always got the answer not necessary
as the quality of the ones used is much better than the ones they used in the past. But despite that I think you are right and I will discuss it as now I got a statement it should be done avery 5 years. It also goes for the batteries still have the first ones in!

• Roel Jansen
  • Visitor
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #2922 by Roel Jansen
Roel Jansen replied the topic: Thanks to SmartCraft!
HFXJACK The answer I wrote earlier has gone!

SmartCraft doesn't works with analogue gauges! It needs special SmartCraft gauges or a screen with the SmartCraft software called vessel view. Also a Navman/NorthStar Chart plotter has SmartCraft software as a standard. Navman/NorthStar is out of the market for some years already. What is the alternative a Nmea 2000 Chart plotterwith Nmea harness maybe? But both need a harness from smartCraft. Actually I have two alarm systems. Turning the ignition keys make if all works a buzzer go off as a proof all the analogue systems work. that system give an audible alarm if the engine temps go over 200 degrees. That's the reason the buzzer didn't work as I didn't reached that temp by far. So I have to investigate when SmartCraft pops in.

More
4 years 11 months ago #2979 by dmcb
dmcb replied the topic: Thanks to SmartCraft!
Roel, its good to have a mechanic you can trust. But your mechanic is giving you bad information here.
Now you have to wonder is some of the other advise he gives is good or not.
Use caution my friend.
Doug

Doug

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: kingstonal
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds