Bayliner Owners Club on Facebook and Twitter (11 Jun 2018)

Bayliner Owners Club is fast becoming the most Active Bayliner Site on the Internet !
To date our Facebook Group has over 1,036 ACTIVE Members, 1.5K Posts, 8.9K Comments and 16.014K Reactions - www.facebook.com/groups/BaylinerOwnersClub/ Lots of Information and daily posts from members just like you !
Our Twitter Feed has 19.2K Tweets and 1.2K Followers twitter.com/baylinerowners

× Technical Discussions

Bellows

• HFXJACK
  • Topic Author
  • Able Seaman
More
6 years 3 months ago #330 by HFXJACK
Bellows was created by HFXJACK
So if the seal on your bellows failed and the bellows filled with water. Is there any way the water can enter the engine? Is it open between the bellows and the crank seal. My understanding is the crank seal only seals one way, keeps oil in but may not keep outside containments from entering the engine.

Am I smoking something?

Thanks

HFXJACK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• k-townguy
  • Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Mechanic
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #331 by k-townguy
Replied by k-townguy on topic Bellows
Well as far as i'm concerned, the only way water can enter an engine thru the rear main is if the rear main itself is leaking oil. Seals are meant to keep engine oil in and contaminants out. I know with my configuration (aq125/270), there is at least 2 seals between the engine and the drive itself(Inner and outer seals) If both of my seals failed i would notice water in the engine bay. I think most systems would be the same.

Think of military grade Humvee's with snorkel kits, with engine submerged under water it can stay running without water entering the engine as long as the air intake is above water.

Hope this helps B)

1985 Bayliner 2150 Ciera Sunbridge
VP AQ 125A/270

"FOUR PLAY'N"
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough to do it right the second time.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by k-townguy.

More
6 years 3 months ago #333 by David
Replied by David on topic Bellows
My understanding is the damage would be to bearings only. Only being relative :S

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

• k-townguy
  • Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Mechanic
More
6 years 3 months ago #337 by k-townguy
Replied by k-townguy on topic Bellows

David wrote: My understanding is the damage would be to bearings only. Only being relative :S

That would be correct.

1985 Bayliner 2150 Ciera Sunbridge
VP AQ 125A/270

"FOUR PLAY'N"
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough to do it right the second time.

• HFXJACK
  • Topic Author
  • Able Seaman
More
6 years 3 months ago #345 by HFXJACK
Replied by HFXJACK on topic Bellows
Thanks Guys just making sure.

I'll explain. Fall of 2010 I had my bellows replaced and full service done. Cruised home 3hrs running and put baby to bed for the winter. Come spring did my prestart check list. Dipstick is 2" overfull and oil is snow white. So I did what any guy would do and bought a new long block from MM. Took boat back to dealer for R&R of engine and when they pulled the leg there was a ton of water inside the bellows they thought several gallons. They replaced everything at no charge as they said it was a Mercury issue and they came good with the repairs. The boating season 2011 is another story that I cannot discuss at this time at the advise of my lawyers. I just wanted to make sure there was not a link between the bellows and water in the oil.

Cheers
John

HFXJACK

More
6 years 3 months ago #350 by dmcb
Replied by dmcb on topic Bellows
Sounds serious. So we have to guess.
If you again have water in your engine, has your manifolds and riser been checked?
Doug

Doug

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: kingstonal
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds