Bayliner Owners Club on Facebook and Twitter (11 Jun 2018)

Bayliner Owners Club is fast becoming the most Active Bayliner Site on the Internet !
To date our Facebook Group has over 927 ACTIVE Members, 1.3K Posts, 7.3K Comments and 13.6K Reactions - www.facebook.com/groups/BaylinerOwnersClub/ Lots of Information and daily posts from members just like you !
OurTwitter Feed has 19.2K Tweets and 1.2K Followers twitter.com/baylinerowners

× Technical Discussions

Cracked gear case - by: 245ToGo

• CBOC
  • CBOC's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
More
1 year 4 months ago #6618 by CBOC
Cracked gear case - by: 245ToGo was created by CBOC
My new-to-me 1971 Mercury outboard has a horizontal hairline crack in the lower gear case that allows gear oil to slowly leak out, so I know the crack extends past the 0-ring and has to be fixed. My question is how to do the right thing. I've been told since the crack is just a hairline that it can be TIG welded with approx. 95% assurance of longevity success. I've also been told any weld will eventually give out and I might as well just find a good used gear case and bite the $2-300 bullet. The ONLY way I was allowed to park this beaut in the driveway was to promise on my soul that I would have us fishing for less than $500 total. Anyone know if I have it welded (professional job, not garage) if it will be good to take out onto the lake with relative confidence? Just thought I'd ask around here because I trust most of the input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chief Alen
  • User is blocked
  • Manalapan NJ
More
1 year 4 months ago #6743 by Chief Alen
Replied by Chief Alen on topic Cracked gear case - by: 245ToGo
Post here or " over there " a picture then i can give my advice.

I have to see exactly where the crack is, there are other methods you, yourself can employ alot cheaper then welding.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: kingstonal
Time to create page: 0.383 seconds