Bayliner Owners Club on Facebook and Twitter (11 Jun 2018)

Bayliner Owners Club is fast becoming the most Active Bayliner Site on the Internet !
To date our Facebook Group has over 927 ACTIVE Members, 1.3K Posts, 7.3K Comments and 13.6K Reactions - www.facebook.com/groups/BaylinerOwnersClub/ Lots of Information and daily posts from members just like you !
OurTwitter Feed has 19.2K Tweets and 1.2K Followers twitter.com/baylinerowners

× Technical Discussions

Power Steering Reservoir empty - Bayliner 2452 year 1995

• jstefano
  • jstefano's Avatar Topic Author
  • Able Seaman
More
3 weeks 6 days ago #7381 by jstefano
Hi guys, need a little advice, please. Today I've noted my Power Steering Reservoir is empty!
No idea how's that possible, can somebody explain please? Where did the fluid go? Can it get out to the water somehow?
As I had some oily patches behind my boat before...
Do I have to purchase a special marine Power steering fluid or will be a regular automotive OK?
I've purchased OEM fluid for GM/Ford/Chrysler - can I use it? Check the attached picture, please.
Million thanks in advance!!!

Jan

Jan
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Bayliner Classic 2452 (year 1995)
Mercruiser 5L, Alpha One
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #7382 by David
That fluid should be fine. As for the leak I would look at you lines to see if there is a leak. You likely have a power steering cooler at the rear of the engine. I have seen these freeze over the winter and could possibly be the source of a leak. I will post your question to our Facebook Group as well. Perhaps someone there has some additional information

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

• jstefano
  • Able Seaman
More
3 weeks 6 days ago #7383 by jstefano

David wrote: That fluid should be fine. As for the leak I would look at you lines to see if there is a leak. You likely have a power steering cooler at the rear of the engine. I have seen these freeze over the winter and could possibly be the source of a leak. I will post your question to our Facebook Group as well. Perhaps someone there has some additional information

Thank you, David!!!

Is there any special way how to add fluid back? Reservoir is empty...

Jan
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Mercruiser 5L, Alpha One

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #7384 by David
No just unscrew the cap on the pump and fill to the line on the dipstick attached to the cap. After you fill look in the bilge for leaks

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's
The following user(s) said Thank You: jstefano

• jstefano
  • Able Seaman
More
3 weeks 5 days ago #7385 by jstefano
Thanks for all hints, gents! Went to the boat today, added OEM power steering fluid (clear). When checked few minutes later, the fluid was yellowish, please check the pictures.
Boat runs fine with correct steering, but could not find any leaks outside. Would be the cooler? Where can I get a replacement? What's a good price?
Appreciate your help a lot, gents!
Have a great week!

Jan

Jan
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Mercruiser 5L, Alpha One
Attachments:

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: kingstonal
Time to create page: 0.609 seconds