Bayliner Owners Club on Facebook and Twitter (11 Jun 2018)

Bayliner Owners Club is fast becoming the most Active Bayliner Site on the Internet !
To date our Facebook Group has over 1,036 ACTIVE Members, 1.5K Posts, 8.9K Comments and 16.014K Reactions - www.facebook.com/groups/BaylinerOwnersClub/ Lots of Information and daily posts from members just like you !
Our Twitter Feed has 19.2K Tweets and 1.2K Followers twitter.com/baylinerowners

× Technical Discussions

Props

• k-townguy
  • Topic Author
  • Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Mechanic
More
6 years 2 months ago #512 by k-townguy
Props was created by k-townguy
Well, I took my prop off and took it to a shop and found out that i have a 14x17 LH prop. My current setup for those that dont know, is a 4 cyl 117 hp motor with the 270 O/D with gear ratio 0f 2.15:1. I can hit my max rpm no probs with myself and the admiral, which puts me at 35 mph (which seems pretty good to me). My cruise speed at 4400 rpm is around the 25 mph ish range. Can I or should I re-prop to gain a few mph at cruise range ? I never run at max rpm but wouldn't mind a few more mph at cruise. What does everyone think ? If re-propping is possible for what i would like, what would you recommend?

1985 Bayliner 2150 Ciera Sunbridge
VP AQ 125A/270

"FOUR PLAY'N"
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough to do it right the second time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #513 by dmcb
Replied by dmcb on topic Props
You should prop to reach your max rpms as stated by the mfg.
If you overprop, you are overpropped at all rpms, not just at wot. if you run at hull speed most likely it would be OK but if you run at cruise not so good.
Its better to be underpropped and not exceed max rpms as suggested by mfg. than the other way.
Doug

Doug

More
6 years 2 months ago #515 by David
Replied by David on topic Props
Thats the way I understand it as well. Did you contact the Piranh Dealer for the correct size for your boat and engine ?

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

• k-townguy
  • Topic Author
  • Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Mechanic
More
6 years 2 months ago #518 by k-townguy
Replied by k-townguy on topic Props
Havent contacted piranha yet, this is why i ask about prop sizes and pitch. And as for as i can tell (mainly cuz i can hit my max rpm) this is one of the correct props for this setup. VP has designated the following props for my drive setup 14x17 14x19 15x11 15x13 15x15 15x17. I have no clue about re propping and the effects it could have, hence why i ask my fellow boaters for their experience and help. Dont wanna blow the motor or drive, just pick up a few mph IF possible. If not, thats ok too, just gotta ask so i dont make an expensive mistake.

1985 Bayliner 2150 Ciera Sunbridge
VP AQ 125A/270

"FOUR PLAY'N"
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough to do it right the second time.

More
6 years 2 months ago #519 by dmcb
Replied by dmcb on topic Props
I noticed Rick's response on BOC. Years ago the theory was use the largest prop you can and adjust pitch to get the correct rpms.
I question it you will see enough if any diffenence in to justify the expense. I don't think Rick thought so either.
But you might gain a bit.
The trial and error part is also correct so if you can get a prop locally that will allow return if it isn't correct and give you another to try might be the way to go.
More so if you need a spare prop anyway.
As a guess if you increase prop size by 1 inch, reduct pitch by 1 or 2 inches. But that is where the trial and error comes in.
Don't be fooled by trying a prop and finding it does increase your speed if it won't reach the suggested rpms. It won't be the drive you hurt but it will be the lugging of the engine.
The old theory was on the larger inboards and while it is still the same for smaller outboards or I/O's, my guess and its only that is you won't see much difference.
Good experiment tho.
Doug

Doug

More
6 years 2 months ago #520 by David
Replied by David on topic Props
One of the good thing about the composite is you can switch out blades and change the pitch. Canada Propeller (Piranah) located here in Ottawa can advise as to what you can use and may be able to provide demo blades so you can experiment.

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: kingstonal
Time to create page: 1.329 seconds