Bayliner Owners Club on Facebook and Twitter (11 Jun 2018)

Bayliner Owners Club is fast becoming the most Active Bayliner Site on the Internet !
To date our Facebook Group has over 1,036 ACTIVE Members, 1.5K Posts, 8.9K Comments and 16.014K Reactions - www.facebook.com/groups/BaylinerOwnersClub/ Lots of Information and daily posts from members just like you !
Our Twitter Feed has 19.2K Tweets and 1.2K Followers twitter.com/baylinerowners

× Technical Discussions

Deck Covering

• David
  • David's Avatar Topic Author
  • Admiral - Administrator
More
6 years 2 months ago #585 by David
Deck Covering was created by David
So as I am rebuilding my 22 year old swim platform I am lookin at different products to cover it with, Foam Pads, Faux Teak, Carpet. What do you have and what do you think works best and why. Is one better than the other, does one last longer, easier to maintain, cost less, look better. What is your preference?

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Roel Jansen
  • Visitor
6 years 2 months ago #586 by Roel Jansen
Replied by Roel Jansen on topic Deck Covering

David wrote: So as I am rebuilding my 22 year old swim platform I am lookin at different products to cover it with, Foam Pads, Faux Teak, Carpet. What do you have and what do you think works best and why. Is one better than the other, does one last longer, easier to maintain, cost less, look better. What is your preference?

We have real teak. Costs more but faux teak isn't cheap either.
First but that's very personal it looks what it is real wood. Although there is faux teak that according to some comes close it stays faux and I see that. It also takes a little more to keep it in shape but I think it's worth it. But the main reason was it looks better, and also important when wet it isn't slippery. Maintenance, I use when it gets too grey washing soda or simple green to clean it, let it dry well and apply a good quality (Hempel) teak oil on it by using a soft cloth. I put the oil on it and softly rub it on the teak. I just have done that two weeks ago and it looks good as it should on a boat but that's mho. Total working time to apply the oil less than 10 minutes.

• David
More
6 years 2 months ago #588 by David
Replied by David on topic Deck Covering
Thanks Roel, what is the weight like with real teak ? How thick is it ?

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

• Roel Jansen
  • Visitor
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #594 by Roel Jansen
David,

What I have is from Norway. That company is specialized in making teak stuff using patterns of existing boat decks, swim platforms etc.

The Marina ordered a swim platform teak deck for a Bayliner 340 and It came in two parts and was glued on my swim platform. See the picture with the Honda generator in the Gallery at Dutch boating. The teak they use comes from Indonesia I was told. The picture shows the teak in the grey mode at the moment I have oiled it.
It's about 5 mm thick and not very heavy, 2-3 kilo not much more as I recall. At the German boat show I saw some companies that had the same material in sheets, so I think it also must also be available in Canada.
I found a picture where it's oiled. :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Roel Jansen.

• David
More
6 years 2 months ago #596 by David
Replied by David on topic Deck Covering
So Roel is that a real teak of the new composite / faux teak/ It looks nice the cost here I think is anywhere from 30 cdn dollars per sq foot to 60 dollars per sq foot. What are prices like there. How is the heat when you stand on it ?

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

• Roel Jansen
  • Visitor
6 years 2 months ago #598 by Roel Jansen
David,

It's real teak you can grind it before you oil it if necessary. They told me it costs € 500 for the platform. But I don't know that for sure. When my boat arrived it had some nasty damage in the non skid part. So they offered it to me for free. I accepted that as I otherwise would have ordered one. :) It feels great when you stand on it. Much better than the original non skid stuff.
Also when it's raining you can step on it, it isn't slippery.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: kingstonal
Time to create page: 0.269 seconds