Bayliner Owners Club on Facebook and Twitter (18 Feb 2018)

Over 500 members and growing on our Facebook Group - www.facebook.com/groups/BaylinerOwnersClub/
Lots of Information and daily posts from members just like you !
Your can also join our 1,235 members on Twitter, twitter.com/baylinerowners

× Technical Discussions

HIN decode

• ZoRay
  • ZoRay's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
6 years 3 days ago #799 by ZoRay
ZoRay replied the topic: Re: HIN decode
If this WAS the first Bayliner Discovery then yes it would be worthy of a restoration.
But as time and cash constraints are in play I have put it back together for now.
The previous owner suggested i cut out the floor and redo stringers and transom however upon inspection I discovered that the under floor is a white foam and I'm not sure it has stringers now.
The transom is soft/hollow at top but base seems sound so rather than cut out the inside of the transom I am going to use a scrap of Teak 3/4 ply leftover from my Canoe Cove 41, as an inside brace of sorts going port to starboard across rear inside transom and bolt engine thru this teak ply.

Last year I hollowed out the rotten stringer in my Canoe Cover 41 and filled with cement/sand mix but as there is no inboard engine on the Bayliner I won't be doing that here.
The transom is sound on Star and centre, has some hollow issues on the Port side.
Prev owner suggested that I remove the inner shin and the wood between but as 2/3 is sound and some of teh Port lower section is sound I think the Teak inside across side to side bolted to lower engine bolts should suffice for this season and possibly more.
]
If this was the 1st Discovery built then I'd be more willing to restore but I bet is just the 1st built in Oct 74 and just a regular production boat.
The seats upholstery appears to be 70s vintage as well.

I renewed the side interior panels with new ply and vinyl covering and am about to fix the one remaining sleeper seat.
There is one small soft spot on floor fwd Pt.

I plan to anchor my Canoe Cove at Sidney Spit and use the Bayliner to get back and forth from Sidney to Spit and back, about 1 mile distance.
And maybe some fishing, not that there's many fish left.
Not like when I was a boy when a 6-8 oz weight was all you needed.
Seems what fish are left are on bottom ranges but back then it was better fishing with fish in less water 40-60 feet. Now everythings at 100 or more.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 days ago #800 by David
David replied the topic: Re: HIN decode
I seen a good series of post on a rebuild of a 1974 discovery here but it was an inboard forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=519254
If it was me I would go with the PO suggestions and remove the inner skins, remove the damage, re-install new plywood and glass over. I would be afraid the stress could cause a cause a catastrophic failure. Perhaps some other members will have more info for you. :)

What type of fish do you fish for in your location.

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

• ZoRay
  • Visitor
6 years 3 days ago - 6 years 3 days ago #802 by ZoRay
My post I just made dissapppeared

so in short after looking at Vlads boat I have a much better idea, thanks.
What is replacing the foam and why take it out?

Salmon is all thats worth fishing for here and not many left in this area.
Last Edit: 6 years 3 days ago by ZoRay.

• freedre
  • Visitor
6 years 2 days ago #809 by freedre
freedre replied the topic: Re: HIN decode

ZoRay wrote: Thanks
What I think I have is a BLB built 1974 built Oct (10the month)Serial 001
5PR, 5 passenger?

That would be my guess.

• ZoRay
  • Visitor
6 years 2 days ago #810 by ZoRay
After reading/viewing Vlad's issues I decided to pull the floor up and pull out the foam.
1 hr later 3/4 of the wet foam is out, just one compartment left to clean.
So.... what is recommended for filling these cavities back in once all clear and dry?

The stringers are okay.

I also though why not run a drain from these compartments thru to bilge area where it could drain in future?

I was thinking of some white plastic tubing with holes in kinda like a septic drain field pipe idea maybe 1" or a bit larger.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
ZoRay

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: kingstonal
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds