Bayliner Owners Club on Facebook and Twitter (18 Feb 2018)

Over 440 members and growing on our Facebook Group - www.facebook.com/groups/BaylinerOwnersClub/
Lots of Information and daily posts from members just like you !
Your can also join our 1,235 members on Twitter, twitter.com/baylinerowners

BOC down...

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Go Aweigh2452's Avatar Topic Author
  • Able Seaman
More
5 months 2 weeks ago #7229 by Go Aweigh2452
Go Aweigh2452 created the topic: BOC down...
Seems Matt Train and Kevin Sanders (both Admins) are trying to update the BOC website... Not sure how long it will be down.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #7230 by David
David replied the topic: BOC down...
Given their skill levels I am sure it won't be long :X

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's

More
5 months 2 weeks ago - 5 months 2 weeks ago #7234 by David
Doug It appears their site is up again. I also note an explanation as to the requirement for the move to new forum software pasted below. As you indicated very childish and factually incorrect however if it makes them feel happy :whistle: If anyone is interested or really cares,(not likely) :wink: I am happy to provide the real story behind the issues and decisions at BOC B)

Why did we change software (again)
Yesterday, 06:55 AM
I think we “owe” you, the very patient BOC members a little expanation as to why we have changed software companies yet again.
I’ll provide the information as I know it. I was not in on all of the decisions, but having been working behind the scenes here at the BOC on and off since 2000 gives me a bit of an insite as to what happened and why.

I’ll also not try to lay “blame” on the admins that made the decisions, because like any volunteers they did their best with the information they had to work with at the time, and it’s easy to second guess their actions with information they did not have at the time they made their decisions.

In the beginning the BOC was on a forum called EZ Board. This was basically a hosted service, where the forum structure was a software service at the Ez Board company. This is how it was whan I previously adminsitered the BOC back in 2001

Mike Pilling (Stratocaster) made the good decision to purchase software from a then young company called Vbulletin. He hosted it on the same hosting agreement space as the original www.baylinerownersclub.org web site.

This worked good for several years then the site was Hacked and Doug (Go Away 2452) made the decision to change to Joomla software under the advice of a former BOC member Dave Crowder. Joomla is a “freeware” software package that has a add on forum component which we use to run the forum on. The hosting was also moved to a company called site ground.

Due to an imminent security risk because of a falling out between then administrator Download Complete (Matt), and Mr. Crowder the site was moved to a server that was rented from Amazon Cloud services.

When Matt decided he was too busy to administer the BOC, he turned the reins over to me, and agreed to stay on and provide assistance, as a CO-Admin which I hope will be long term in nature. Matt never liked the software, or the hosting, BTW.

When I started to gather information on how to log into the various back end systems that make the BOC work, I quickly was overwhelmed. I’m a professional Cisco Certified network engineer, pus I have two decades of web design and business level hosting experience and I was agast at the unnecessary complexity of the back end.

When I tried to take a backup of the site using Joomla it failed. I was told it had pretty much always been that way. When I tried to log into the server we were renting I found out that I had to know something called Linux to even get in. We had to have a volunteer server expert IT guy on call just to take care of the server, then there was the inability for me to take a backup copy of the forum. This was a real challenge.

What I did was look around at what software other forums were using , and how they were providing those services. I quickly figured out that darn near all boating forums were running Vbulletin software, and that many of them were hosted on Vbulletin servers. So I hired a software conversion company to convert the forum back to Vbulletin. The plan was to take a site snapshot, convert it to Vbulletin, and give the moderators a chance to learn the software. Then we would take another snapshot of the old forum, and go live.

The challenge is that they found so many data base errors, which took them an entire week to do the conversion. They reported back that a second conversion would take another week, so either way we would loose a weeks posts, plus those lost due to database errors.

So we made the decision to go live with what we had.

Today our forum data is safe and secure on Vbulletin servers. We do not rent a server, we pay for forum service. The end result is that we will always have the latest updates to the software. Our data will be backed up daily. At the admin level we have 24X7 professional support for any issues or questions, by a team of professionals that only deal with Vbulletin software.

In the end the BOC is secure, safe, and easy to administer with out your administrators depending on volunteer IT experts. We wil not be changing software again, as Vbulletin is the defacto standard in forum software.

Now... Somebody is going to ask. Why didn’t we let the general membership know ahead of time? My answer to that is it wouldn’t do a bit of good. It would not have changed anything, and the discussions would have slowed the process down creating even more lost posts.

I’ll provide a link to the old forum site if anybody has any data or photo galleries that they need to retrieve. We won’t be supporting the old site but if you need something there it can be reached at 54.87.251.120 We’ll leave the old server turned up for a couple of weeks, but I don’t think there is much people will realistically retrieve.

Thanks!

Kevin Sanders
Bayliner Owners Club
Last edited by ksanders; Yesterday, 11:55 AM.

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's
Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by David.

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Go Aweigh2452's Avatar Topic Author
  • Able Seaman
More
5 months 6 days ago #7242 by Go Aweigh2452
Go Aweigh2452 replied the topic: BOC down...
Kevin hired a company to move the forum. Unfortunately, he must have paid bottom dollar since only first level forum was moved. IE. The Owners list was first level but all the brands like 2452 and 2859 were second level and those did not make the transfer over... Oh well... I'm pissed most of my posts and threads and photos went away... I'm not sure the BOC will last another year... but I've been wrong before...

More
5 months 5 days ago - 5 months 5 days ago #7243 by David
It is sad to see the state it is in now but they keep getting members ? I laughed at some of his false assertions on why the site moved.

For example "Due to an imminent security risk because of a falling out between then administrator Download Complete (Matt), and Mr. Crowder the site was moved to a server that was rented from Amazon Cloud services." :lol:

There was no security risk ! While fixing the site at Matt's request I found a post in the moderators section by Matt telling the other moderators he was going to "Milk" me for my experiance then ban me from BOC. I preempted that ban by making Matt's post visible to all and then REMOVING ALL my administrator privileges myself.

Then I really laughed at this one :cheer:
"When I started to gather information on how to log into the various back end systems that make the BOC work, I quickly was overwhelmed. I’m a professional Cisco Certified network engineer, pus I have two decades of web design and business level hosting experience and I was agast at the unnecessary complexity of the back end."

Being a Cisco Certified Network Engineer prepares you to manage network switches and routers not web sites. He also had a hand in the web design of the original HACKED BOC. That design is why it was hacked. Even his own personal web site was built with Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 - Version 6, a product no longer on the market and considered a basic beginners web developer tool which is now fully 14 years old ! As for the complexity of Joomla, :whistle: it's a simple point and click backend but you have to take the time to learn it just like Microsoft Word or Excel.

This was the biggest laugh :woohoo:
"When I tried to take a backup of the site using Joomla it failed. I was told it had pretty much always been that way. When I tried to log into the server we were renting I found out that I had to know something called Linux to even get in. We had to have a volunteer server expert IT guy on call just to take care of the server, then there was the inability for me to take a backup copy of the forum. This was a real challenge."

I would think a Cisco Engineer would know Linux but even if he didn't it was not necessary. The hosting company would not allow users direct access to the server. They provided a simple control panel interface that you manage the site through via simple controls you click on just like your desktop.Backups are done DAILY automatically by all hosting companies. There is no real reason to do additional backups unless you're making a change to the site. Even then the backups are done via the site hosting panel not the backend of Joomla for a site with the amount of Data BOC has OOPS HAD :blink:

At the end of the day both Joomla and VBulletin are PHP applications, both run on Linux, both have the same back end management console and controls. The difference here is that he is familiar with VBulletin but did not want to take the time to learn Joomla. It comes down to preference not one being better than the other.

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's
Last Edit: 5 months 5 days ago by David.

More
5 months 3 days ago #7248 by David
Sad, so very sad that the wrong person with limited knowledge and skills was placed in charge of all that valuable information :S

David
1990 Sunray Infinity
Twin 5.7 Cobra's
Attachments:

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds