Bayliner Owners Club on Facebook and Twitter (11 Jun 2018)

Bayliner Owners Club is fast becoming the most Active Bayliner Site on the Internet !
To date our Facebook Group has over 1,036 ACTIVE Members, 1.5K Posts, 8.9K Comments and 16.014K Reactions - www.facebook.com/groups/BaylinerOwnersClub/ Lots of Information and daily posts from members just like you !
Our Twitter Feed has 19.2K Tweets and 1.2K Followers twitter.com/baylinerowners

Looking at Joining a Yacht Club on Vancouver Island

• Bobhicks
  • Bobhicks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Able Seaman
More
4 months 4 days ago #7352 by Bobhicks
Hi all, we are looking into joining a yacht club on the Island. Anyone have any recommendations/tips/info? Currently mooring in a marina in Nanaimo but am looking to go further south say North Sanich to Victoria area. We live in Ontario so haven't had any opportunity to vist any as yet. We will be headding back to BC in the spring.

P/C Bob Hicks JN
Dock Holiday, 1992 Bayliner 3888 Double Cabin Flybridge Cruiser
Twin Hino W04TI 210 HP Diesels with Hurth HSW630A 2.0:1 Trannys
Westerbeke 8.0 BTD-614 8KW Genset
Avon 9 ft 6 in Tender with a Tohatsu M8B 8HP outboard
Currently moored at Stones Marina in Nanaimo B.C.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #7358 by bobofthenorth
Replied by bobofthenorth on topic Looking at Joining a Yacht Club on Vancouver Island
We joined Sidney North Saanich as soon as we bought our Defever and dropped the membership 6 years later when we sold her. We never regretted being members. They don't own dock space but that wasn't a consideration for us. The initiation was reasonable - I can't remember the exact amount but it was under $1000 and the dues were in the $500 range. We figured we got our dues back in reciprocal moorage. SNSYC has a good list of reciprocals in the San Juans and on the BC coast. Just using the Vancouver reciprocals probably paid our annual dues.

They were maybe a little bit cliquey but we met some good people. They do some annual 30+ day trips - Desolation, Puget, Broughtons for example. We never joined them for an entire trip but often joined up with them somewhere along their route and that seemed to be how a lot of people approached those trips. We were moored in Cowichan Bay so the reciprocal dock at Sidney was useful for us as it may also be if you are moored in Nanaimo.

If you're looking for a more traditional club with moorage you might consider Burrard. Its on the mainland but its a good location and they have a tidal grid for member use. We were approached by their membership recruiter when we moored there (on a SNSYC recip). I forget the numbers but we seriously considered them because they were very reasonable and it seemed like getting moorage was a distinct possibility.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
Buchanan, SK
1990 Bayliner 2755 Cierra
Previously - 1980 Defever 43 "Gray Hawk"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bobhicks

• Bobhicks
  • Able Seaman
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #7359 by Bobhicks
Thanks for the info. I had looked at the Sidney North Saanich on the web but it is hard to tell from that. Also the lack of moorage wasn't a big plus as I am thinking of moving the boat further south from Nanaimo so was looking for something all inclusive. We have to fly in so wanted to be fairly close to the airport as we will be leaving a car at a friends place in Saanich.

P/C Bob Hicks JN

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #7360 by bobofthenorth
Replied by bobofthenorth on topic Looking at Joining a Yacht Club on Vancouver Island
I think you'll have trouble finding a club with moorage on the Island that doesn't have a multi-year wait list. We were very happy in Cowichan Bay. If your goal is to get further down Island then Cow Bay is a good location. The community is a little heavy on the eco-green BS but we managed to deal with that. Moorage was a lot less than in the bigger centres. There is enough of a liveaboard community that we never worried about leaving the boat unattended. We were typically on the boat and away from the dock for 5 to 7 months and then it sat and grew green fuzz for the rest of the year. I hadn't suggested Cowichan Bay because I ass/u/med you would not have a vehicle but if you've got transport then it might be a good option. There's a couple of marinas in "The Bay" - I can give you contact information for the one we were at and if Gary doesn't have room he'll be able to tell you how to contact the others.

We had friends who moored at Brentwood and spoke highly of it. I believe they just completed a major dock reno. I'd steer clear of Van Isle - they're pretty proud of the facility for no discernable reason. We spent 3 months there when we first imported Gray Hawk but were glad to be out of the place. Canoe Cove is another option. We had friends moored there as well. It has the advantage of an attached boatyard. You might also look at Maple Bay. Its a little out of the way - translation PITA to get to by road - but that likely translates into lower rates and it also has an attached boatyard.

Depending on your cruising plans and timeframe downtown Victoria may also be an option. There's a herd of seasonal boaters who moor downtown during the winter off season and then clear out sometime in the spring. I think there's a single harbour authority that handles all of that moorage. We knew one boater who stayed downtown in the winter and his rates were comparable to ours at Cow Bay but he had to vacate for whatever they consider "summer".

R.J.(Bob) Evans
Buchanan, SK
1990 Bayliner 2755 Cierra
Previously - 1980 Defever 43 "Gray Hawk"
The following user(s) said Thank You: David

• Bobhicks
  • Able Seaman
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #7361 by Bobhicks
Thanks for the info. It will be another month or so before we get back and we are paid up until June but it doesn't hurt to look early. At least now when we get there we can have a number of places to go check out.

P/C Bob Hicks JN

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds